10 Ways to keep your warm without turning the heat on or up
How to stay warm at home without resorting to blasting the heat?
Here are some thoughts…
- Let the sun in: Open curtains and blinds during the day.
- Close off unused rooms: Keeping doors closed won’t just prevent cold air from moving into the rest of the house, it will help contain the heat you’ve generated
- Change your sheets: Again, sometimes simple is tremendously effective when it comes to keeping warm. Swap cotton for flannel sheets, grab a down comforter and don’t forget about the value of extra blankets
- Re-arrange your furniture: Make sure your furniture is not in front of a large window or pushed up against an outside wall. Additionally, avoid placing large pieces of furniture in front of radiators
- Cut a rug: Cover up your bare floors with a rug.
- Bake something: Stews, roasts, casseroles and soups are made for the cold weather because they cook at low temperatures for a long period of time and, of course, they warm you up going down.
- Drink something: Wrap your hands around a warm mug of tea, cocoa or coffee.
- Reverse the fan: since heat rises, running your ceiling fan in reverse will push the warm air back down to the ground.
- Do your laundry: Nothing warms you up like clothing straight from the dryer.
- Something old fashioned: Try a hot water bottle or, before you get into bed, running a hot pan over your sheets.