Central Air Conditioner maintenance – Do it yourself
In the coming months your air conditioner will become a vital asset to your home, Central Air Conditioner maintenance is necessary to ensure that your AC unit is performing as well as it can.
It has become a rule of thumb that Central Air Conditioner maintenance should be performed once a year at the minimum.
It would be in any homeowner’s best interest to have this air conditioner maintenance to be done in the spring season before the summer heat arrives, so that your home is guaranteed to be cool and comfortable when it’s necessary. If in the past you have experienced any problems regarding your air conditioner unit it would be a great idea to call a professional AC technician and book an appointment for Central Air Conditioner maintenance prior to the peak season.
Prior to reaching out for the assistance of an HVAC professional, there are a few things that you can do to keep your AC unit in its best condition and check for any existing problems. These procedures often vary depending on the type of AC unit, model, and the manufacturer’s requirements.
Before starting to perform any procedures it is crucial that you consult with your AC unit’s manufacturer or an HVAC technician to be informed of any required protective equipment or precautions which will be needed to conduct air conditioner maintenance.
Remove any obstructions blocking airflow through vents and ducts
- To make for the most efficient cooling of your home, move furniture , drapes, or any objects which may prevent the proper ventilation of your HVAC system.
- Also, check that all ducts which supply air and return air are open.
Clear the area around your air conditioner unit
- Remove any leaves or grass clippings from around your AC unit.
- The debris or dirt can enter your air conditioning system and obstruct the airflow path which is necessary for the unit to perform safely and efficiently.
Check your air conditioner’s circuit breakers
- Ensure that the breakers are set to the “on” setting and that not of it’s fuses are blown or damaged.
Make sure your thermostat is working correctly
- Check if batteries are running low and replace them if necessary.
- Make sure your thermostat is set to the right program setting
- To test if your thermostat is measuring temperature accurately, compare results with a different temperature measuring device. If you find that the results vary, you will need to recalibrate or reset the system and try again.
Clean the fans, coils, and air filters
- The quality of air in your home and the efficiency at which your air conditioner operated is heavily reliant on the fans, coils, and air filters. Make sure to clean these components on a yearly basis to avoid any future expensive repairs. If maintenance to these parts is ignored, damage to other crucial components of your AC system can also occur.
Clean drain holes or tubes
- These parts are often blocked up with dirt and debris. Take a look inside and remove as much as you can.
Apply oil to the fan motor
- This procedure depends on the type of air conditioner unit you own. Read through the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions to find out how or if you should perform this procedure.
Reset your air conditioner unit
- A system reset can sometimes resolve any problems which caused for the system’s poor performance
- This option isn’t available on all air conditioner models
If you find that you cannot solve your problems, call a professional
If despite your efforts you cannot find the source of your air conditioner problem or you are unable to solve, calling a professional HVAC technician to perform Central Air Conditioner maintenance should be your next step. The highly trained and experienced technicians at DeMark Home Ontario are more than prepared to assist you with any of your air conditioner problems or concerns. We also offer a variety of air conditioner purchasing, financing, and rental options if you are in need of a brand new high efficiency air conditioner replacement. We provide efficient and quick air conditioner replacement done by our team of HVAC professionals.
Give us a call at 647-847-2998 or fill out our online request form and we will be happy to assist you with your request.