Furnace noise you should be aware of
Unusual furnace noise is something many people pass on as not being a big deal, but really it could indicate that there’s a much bigger underlying problem.
Your furnace usually produces a moderately quiet humming or buzzing noise, this is totally okay, it just means that your furnace is on and is working. Any other furnace noise besides this humming sound is what could indicate that there’s a problem with your home’s furnace unit. But how do you know if the noises you’re hearing are evidence of a problem? Below we have compiled a list of furnace noises that could indicate that you may need a furnace repair.
- Bangs: Banging noises are a good sign of some loose and/or broken parts. The loose parts are left bouncing and banging around inside of your furnace system and can often break other furnace components by doing so. Loose/broken parts can leave you with enormous repair costs and can even lead to a full furnace replacement being necessary.
- Continuous rattling: A failing blower motor is the likely culprit behind this sound. This noise is an obvious warning that your furnace will give out completely in the near future and leave you without heat.
- Squealing: The sound of an unusual squeal is most likely the result of a furnace component not being lubricated or maintained properly. This can lead to some major problems and complications as some parts can cause serious damage if they aren’t properly lubricated.
- Booms: Furnaces making a boom sound is particularly seen in old gas furnace models. This sound is a delay in ignition in your gas furnace, which can be extremely dangerous. It is necessary that you call in for a furnace repair immediately.
- Persistent clicks: When your furnace turns on and off it is normal for it to produce a rapid clicking noise, this is not to worry about. Although, it is out of the ordinary if this sound persists for over a minute. If this is the case then you most likely have an electrical problem.
- Screeches: More often than not a screech noise is made because of a damaged or worn down belt in your furnace. Although this sound is very annoying, it deals the least damage to your furnace than the other noises on this list. If you are hearing this noise you should get the damaged belt replaced because once it does break you will remain without heat until there is a replacement.
- Fluttering: This is a sound is not easy to reproduce in typing, but it sounds similar to how cardboard would sound in a revolving bike tire. Obviously the sound coming from your furnace has no relation to a bike tire, but it is most likely the sound of debris stuck in your furnace’s fan.
Any furnace noise that is out of the ordinary even if it is not listed here could indicate a problem within your furnace system. These warning signs are not to be taken lightly because they could cause serious trouble. If you are hearing some troublesome sounds coming from your furnace give us a call at (647) 847-2998 and a professional furnace technician from DeMark Home Ontario will be at your doorstep in no time.
If you are in need of a furnace repair or replacement in Ontario, DeMark Home Ontario is here to help. We provide efficient and quick HVAC repairs or replacements performed by our team of highly trained and experienced technicians. To book your appointment just give us a call or fill out our online request form and we will be happy to assist you.