Home Insulation Benefits and Tips
Having proper home insulation and a well looked after HVAC system will allow for a perfectly comfortable home environment and keep your utility bills to a minimum.
In the past, Canadians had to get used to the terribly cold drafts they would experience in their homes all winter and summer long. Luckily, modern technology has eliminated this uncomfortable inconvenience for most people. New building techniques and improvements to home insulation have allowed Canadians to enjoy an elevated level of home comfort even in harsh climates. Even with an HVAC system that’s running properly, with improper home insulation you will not have the comfort you’re looking for. That’s why we’re here to tell you what you need to know about home insulation and how you can improve the insulation in your own household.
What is the purpose of home insulation?
Your home insulation acts as a barrier which protects your home from letting in the cold or hot air from the outdoors. You will find insulation in your home’s basement, attic, walls, and other places which border the outdoors. Home insulation slows down the process of heat transfer. During the summertime it slows heat from entering the building, while in the winter it prevents heat from exiting the building. House insulation helps to regulate the temperature in your home, which means that your furnace and AC won’t have to work too hard to achieve the results you want.
More important information about home insulation
There is not just one type of home insulation. The various types of house insulation either use different materials or varying methods of insulating. To understand the different types of home insulation it’s important to know about insulation’s R-value. R-value is a term for rating insulation’s ability to reduce the rate of heat loss. The higher the R-value of a particular insulation the better it is at preventing heat loss. Let’s take a look at some of these insulation methods and their benefits:
- Spray foam has become a popular form of home insulation due to its ease of use. Spray foam has a higher R-value than fiberglass and is also resistant to mold.
- Fiberglass is one of the most popular types of insulation found in homes. This type of insulation uses glass fibres which are placed by hand or blown into a place by a trained professional.
- Mineral fibre is very similar to fiberglass, but has a lower R-value. The benefits of mineral fibre over fiberglass are that it is more fire resistant and provides sound proofing for the space that it occupies.
- Rigid foam is a form of insulation typically used in the foundation of homes. It can be found in sheets. It has a very high R-value, but is complicated to install.
- Cellulose is a loose-fill material which is often seen in attics. This material is sprayed into the space that it occupies as it can conform to its surroundings. It is a relatively inexpensive form of insulation and still maintains an R-value slightly lower than that of fiberglass.
Why you should insulate your home properly
Having the right type of home insulation installed by a professional will yield numerous benefits for your home and your family. Proper insulation will extend the life of your home and will keep it in better shape over the years. Your family will feel more comfortable in their home as a properly insulated space will have no noticeable drafts. A properly insulated home means a comfortable living environment for you and your family. To add on, with the prevention of heat loss that comes from proper insulation, you will be spending less on heating and cooling your home.
If you have any further questions regarding house insulation or any of your other HVAC needs, don’t hesitate to contact DeMark Home Ontario today. We offer a free installation done by our highly trained and experienced technicians. You’re saving more when you rent your HVAC equipment from DeMark Home Ontario. We offer the lowest rental rates on the market and provide our customers with professional and reliable service. Give us a call at 1 (855) 998-2998 or fill out our online request form and we will be happy to assist you.