How to Spot an AC Refrigerant Leak
An AC refrigerant leak can be more severe than you expect so it’s very important to know how to spot one.
If you sense that your air conditioner’s refrigerant may be leaking then you probably want to know how to confirm that assumption. A refrigerant leak is scarier than you may think as it can lead to a number of problems with your home’s HVAC equipment. Some problems that may arise due to air conditioner failure include:
- Your system may begin to cool inefficiently or not be able to attain the set temperature on the thermostat at all
- You’ll see an increase on your monthly utilities bills.
- The refrigerant produces toxins that can enter your body through your respiratory system and cause harm to your air quality and health.
The Signs of an Air Conditioner Refrigerant Leak
Refrigerant is odorless which makes it difficult to detect when there’s been a leak. Luckily however, there are a number of clear signs that indicate the possibility of a refrigerant leak, and these signs are:
- A “hissing” or “gurgling” sound. A small refrigerant leak is often indicated by a hissing sound, whereas a bigger leak will produce a gurgling sound.
- Inefficient AC operation. A refrigerant leak will cause your AC to lose some of its cooling power, which means it will now use more time and energy to reach the desired temperature in your home. You may find that the air coming from the air registers is not as cool as before.
- Increased utility bills. As a result of the decreased efficiency, you will see an increase in your monthly utility bills. If you notice an anomaly on your utility bill, it could be due to a leak in your AC refrigerant.
- Frozen coils. Frozen coils are a really bad sign as it could cause failure of the whole AC system and the need for a replacement system. When the condenser coil is low on refrigerant it can cause moisture to freeze over on the coil which often leads to serious problems and expensive repairs.
Having a broken air conditioner in the summertime can be a real nightmare. To keep your AC running problem-free, it’s important to keep up with regular maintenance. We hope that our guide helped you on your search for that leaky refrigerant line. Finding the leak is what’s most important, the rest can be fixed with the help of an HVAC professional.
Our highly trained and experienced technicians are more than prepared to assist you with any of your AC problems. DeMark Home Ontario provides renting, purchasing and financing options that are tailored to fit the needs and budgets of any homeowner. A new central air conditioner installation is not as expensive as you may think. Our efficient and quick air conditioner replacement is done by our team of certified and trained HVAC professionals. Give us a call at 1 (855) 998-2998 or fill out our online request form and we will be happy to assist you with your request.