Is it better to repair or replace air conditioner?
When it’s your time to decide whether to repair or replace air conditioner, you must consider the price of the repair, the age of the AC, and a number of other factors.
Whether to repair or replace air conditioner is a question every homeowner will encounter after they’ve had their AC for a number of years. Ultimately, the decision comes down to what will be the cheapest and most convenient option for you. There are a few ways to tell which option will be best for you and we’re here to break them down for you.
Here are six things you should consider before choosing whether to repair or replace air conditioner:
- How old is your air conditioner? The average lifespan of a high efficiency air conditioner is 12 years. If your home’s AC is around that age or older then an expensive repair is not your best option as the unit is already reaching the end of its life and a repair will not save it. If your AC is relatively new then a repair is likely your best choice.
- Is your AC still under warranty? Nowadays it’s common for AC manufacturers to offer a 10-year warranty with the unit. A manufacturer’s warranty will lessen the cost of repairs by covering the cost of parts, while you will still have to pay for labour and refrigerant. Generally, if your AC unit is still under warranty, a repair makes the most sense financially.
- Is your AC not performing as well as it used to? Most often the question of whether to repair or replace air conditioner is a financial one, but what if your AC isn’t satisfying your needs anymore. The unit might’ve worked great when it was new, but now it doesn’t keep your home cool, can’t maintain humidity properly, or a number of other issues. All of your gripes with your current AC can be put to rest by upgrading to a brand new AC system.
- How much will the repair cost you? An air conditioner is a large investment for a homeowner, so it’s expected that when a problem with the equipment arises, your first instinct is that a repair is necessary. Although, at a certain point, a repair can become too costly to justify. If the repair will cost you more than $700, we suggest you replace your air conditioner with a new unit instead. Also, an occasional inexpensive repair is totally normal, but once repairs become frequent and start adding up, you might also want to consider upgrading your AC unit.
- Does your AC use R-22? R-22 is a refrigerant that many older AC models use which is extremely expensive and will soon cease production and import. If your AC unit uses the R-22 refrigerant then it is not in your best interest to repair the unit. You will end up having to replace it soon regardless, so it is best to save the repair expense and upgrade to a new unit.
- 6.Is there mold or other bacterial growth in your system? Mold in your AC system can be dangerous as it can cause headaches, nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, and skin irritation. A mold infestation is often difficult to get rid of as mold spreads through spores, and the presence of a small colony can lead to a re-infestation. If your AC system has a problem with mold or other bacterial growth, we recommend replacing the system. Upgrading your air conditioner system will remove the mold infestation entirely.
If you are still unsure whether to repair or replace air conditioner or have any other HVAC concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us at any time. Our highly trained and experienced technicians are more than prepared to assist you with any of your air conditioner problems. A new central air conditioner installation is simpler and less expensive than you may think.. DeMark Home Ontario provides renting, purchasing and financing options that are tailored to fit the needs and budgets of any homeowner. We provide efficient and quick air conditioner replacement done by our team of trained and certified HVAC professionals.
Give us a call at 1 (855) 998-2998 or fill out our online request form and we will be happy to assist you with your request.