How to Shut Down Central AC for the Winter Season
A frequently asked question we receive when customers are preparing for the cold weather ahead is how to properly shut down their central AC system for the winter season?
By following the steps below we can assure you that your central AC will be shut down currently and you will be ready for the season approaching:
- First you should turn off the cooling system. This is done by simply using your thermostat’s settings to turn the cooling setting from on to off.
- Check your heating and cooling system’s air filter for any dirt. If you notice that your filters appear to be dirty you should replace them with brand new high quality air filters. If you are unsure of what filter size is best for your central AC system, you can contact one of our experienced technicians by phone and we will be glad to assist you.
- If your home’s central AC system uses a humidifier, switch it from the summer/closed mode to the winter/open mode.
- Outside of your home, typically connected to the side of your home, you will find an electrical disconnect box. Switch the electrical disconnect box’s power off to the outside air conditioner condensing unit.
- The final step would be to return to your thermostat and adjust it to the “heat” position and set it to your desired temperature. The humidistat can now also be set to your desired humidity. Now your home is ready to take on the cold winter season that is quickly approaching.
If you need further assistance with preparing your home’s central AC and heating system for the winter season or are noticing any problems with regards to your heating and cooling system, DeMark Home Ontario will be glad to be the solution to all your HVAC problems. Give us a call at (647) 847-2998 or fill out our online request form and one of our friendly associates will help solve your problems shortly, whether it be regarding the AC shutdown process, annual maintenance, furnace/AC replacement, or any of your other HVAC needs.