Natural gas is colorless and odourless and before it gets delivered to your home mercaptan is added to it to make it smell like rotten eggs so that it can be determined if a gas leak occurs.
If you smell gas leave the area and call your gas utility
If you live in Ontario in GTA and Ottawa you need to call Enbridge Gas Distributions at 1-866-763-5427, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Outside of GTA and Ottawa you will need to call your local gas utility in many cases it is Union Gas 1-877-969-0999
If you notice gas smell:
- Open doors and windows and leave the area
- Call Enbridge Gas or Union Gas (based on who is your local gas utility)
- Do not use any electrical appliances, cell phones, garage door openers etc near the gas smell
- If you smell gas leak outside, do not start any motors or motor vehicles near the area of the gas odour, do not smoke and do not use any lighters or matches
- If you hear hissing sound leave the premise immediately
Once you local gas utility is notified i.e. Enbridge Gas or Union Gas, they will send a service technician to assess the situation and advise you on your options with respect to the gas piping or natural gas equipment.
DeMark Home Ontario servicing area for HVAC-furnaces, air conditioners, hot water heaters, tankless units includes: Toronto, GTA, Vaughan, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, Milton, Burlington, Niagara Falls, Oshawa, Pickering, Ajax, Aurora, Newmarket, Barrie, Ottawa and more. For a full servicing area please click here.